The Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt
is an important safety device for the prevention of electrical shock. It works by shutting off the power when even a small electrical leak is detected. A leak as small as 0.05 amps will trip a GFCI. This is only enough power to run a small night light, but under the right circumstances it could be lethal to a person.
The circuit breakers or fuses in your home are designed to trip at 15-20 or more amps to protect primarily the wiring and equipment in your home and prevent fires. By shutting off the power when circuits are shorted or overloaded, circuit breakers keep us safe by preventing fires and shutting off power to defective electrical equipment that could injure or kill someone.